Have dirty little secrets around HR?
You are not alone
Even the HR Pros Have Some And We Confess
We’ll share one of our dirty little HR secrets…
Donna here! I know we all have our little secrets, but let me tell you one of mine which was the inspiration behind our flagship HR course—HR 101: Making Compliance Easy, and many other HR Courses.
Back in the day when I was an HR Manager for a multi-state business, I loved my job and thought I was King of the Hill in my little region. Until one day, when this very official looking letter was dropped on my desk.
It was from the INS, which is now the ICE, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, agency. Opening the envelope with shaking hands, I found a Notice of Inspection letter, which means I was going to have the pleasure of an I-9 audit. Aw, Dang.
Now, if you have no idea what that is or even what an I-9 Form is, let’s hope you’re not involved in the hiring of employees or the maintenance of employee records. If you’re not, no sweat! You can stop reading now.
However, if you are in ANY way involved in the new hire process or recordkeeping for staff, I suggest you sit up straight and listen to me.
Hey, I was an HR MANAGER!
I knew my stuff.
But I was scared to death!
Did I really have all the up-to-date information about how to complete the I-9 Form and was I monitoring the forms that my staff or my other managers were handling? Ummm, not really sure…
So, yeah, I was sweating bullets because I knew the fines and penalties could be nasty. Just like the inspectors could be nasty. Well, some of them anyway. And it would be my luck that things would go wrong….right?!
I never thought an I-9 audit could happen to me. And neither do you, I bet.
Long story short—I was very lucky. We made it through with a few minor issues that were quickly corrected. But not every business can say that.
In fact, one of our clients conducted an internal I-9 audit using the process from our HR Courses and found the potential for over $340k in penalties. Say WHAT??!!
No worries! The client was able to make all the required corrections to bring the business into compliance and now the owner sleeps restfully at night because he knows he is READY in case he receives a Notice of Inspection letter.
And I-9 forms and audits are just one area of employment law that can wreak havoc for you if you’re not paying attention.
Don’t let your dirty little HR secrets stop you from rocking HR!
Let’s Get This Party Started!
Be sure to click the drop downs to see what’s inside each HR Course
This course will help you to learn how to avoid the painful legal penalties caused by poor records, missing I-9 forms and unpaid overtime wages and includes the following:
- How to Set Up Your Employee Records
- What Records Need To Be Retained
- What Records Need To Be Retained – Pre-Hire PhaseWhat Records Need To Be Retained – Post-Hire Phase
- What Records Need To Be Retained – Post-Termination Phase
- What Records Need To Be Retained – Paper vs. Cloud
- Review of Section 1
- Section 2: How to Complete An I-9 Form
- Case Study
- Critical Timeframes
- Phase 1: Complete the I-9
- Review of Section 2
- Section 3: How to Audit & Correct I-9 Forms
- Phase 2: Audit All I-9s
- Phase 3: Correcting Errors on I-9 Forms
- Closing the Loop
- Red Flags
- Review of Section 3
- Section 4: How to Comply With Job Classification Requirements
- Case Study #1 & Why You Should Care
- Non-Exempt vs. Exempt & Case Study #2
- Exemption Tests Overview
- Executive Exempt
- Administrative Exemption
- Professional Exemption: Learned Professional
- Professional Exemption: Creative Professional
- Computer Professional Exemption
- Outside Sales Exemption
- Motor Carrier Act
- Review of Section 4
- Section 5: How to Comply With Record Retention Requirements
- 8 Factors Affecting Record Keeping
- Specific Records & Timeframes
- Paper Records vs. Electronic Records
- Review of Section 5
- Setting Up Your Records Checklist
- 2015/2016 I-9 Form
- I-9 Completion Checklist
- Handbook for Employers (M-274)
- Sample Memos to the File
- Audit Log Template
- Samples of I-9s with errors
- Sample No Match Letter
- Sample No Match Letter Instructions
- No Match Letter eBook
- Agency Audit Process
- Audit Checklist
- Executive Exemption Questionnaire
- Administration Exemption Questionnaire
- Learned Professional Exemption Questionnaire
- Creative Professional Exemption Questionnaire
- Computer Professional Exemption Questionnaire
- Outside Sales Exemption Questionnaire
- Motor Carrier Act Exemption Questionnaire
- Sample Record Retention Policy
- Employment Record Retention Guide by Federal Law
- Employment Record Retention Guide by State
- I-9 Retention Calculator Spreadsheet Tool
- I-9 Retention Spreadsheet Template
- Record Retention Policy Checklist
- Ebook of Lecture Transcripts & Slides
This course will help you to go from having zero of the top 5 leadership behaviors to having hero skills. Don’t reinvent the wheel—learn from those who’ve done it right. You will do some heavy soul searching of yourself and your business to gain this transformation, so let’s jump right in!
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors Intro
- Communicate Meaning
- Genuine Caring
- External Focus
- Awareness of Big Picture
- Honest Communication
- Leadership Self Assessment
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors – Intro eBook
- Communicate Meaning Exercise
- Communicate Meaning Worksheet
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors – Communicate Meaning eBook
- Genuine Caring Exercise
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors – Genuine Caring eBook
- External Focus Exercise
- External Focus Worksheet
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors – External Focus eBook
- Awareness of Big Picture Exercise
- Honest Communication Exercise
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors – Honest Communication eBook
- Top 5 Leadership Behaviors – Review eBook
Look, you don’t have to be an expert.
You do need to know the important stuff.
If you love your biz, you know there’s a whole lotta reasons why you need to know HR. Seriously.
ASSESS & PROTECT
Figure out if you’re doing anything crazy wrong when it comes to employment law
Fix it quick and easy to stay out of trouble with those pesky Feds
Remember that whole “an ounce of prevention…” thing and get ahead of the game
RECRUIT & RETAIN
Hire the best the first time around
Keep ‘em happy and busy
Avoid the skills gap by testing the heck out of candidates with the right tools
Create a real A-team
(that doesn’t fight)
DEVELOP & COACH
Drop the bad seeds like a hot potato—the right & painless way
Help your top guns grow and get even better in their awesomeness
Line up your future leaders and get ‘em ready for their turn at the helm
Okay. We bet you’re thinking…”Critical HR stuff is hard to learn.” Not. Any. More.
You need an easy system to follow.
We’ve Got You Covered
We make learning the important HR stuff Easy
Watch a short series of videos designed to highlight and educate you on key HR tasks
Yes. Download all of the templates and resources included in the program
Simply follow the step-by-step process and use the resources included
Are you blindly guessing your way around HR?
Step Into The Light
We will Show You The Way
Indeed. Take A Little Walk On The Wild Side
With our fun and edutaining HR courses loaded with tons of resources
You asked. We Listened. Here’s What You Get:
The Anatomy of an HR Course
GAIN Clarity On HR Risks. GAIN Consistency on HR Processes. GAIN Control on HR Everything.
Hey. We have tons of new HR Courses itching to be released. Stay tuned:
“No You Didn’t!” – Oh Yes We Did!
We Packed All HR Courses & HR Kits into Our Learn Membership
You Will Love Our HR Courses
Don’t Take Our Word For It! Here’s what a few clients have to say…
I thoroughly enjoyed your HR 101 online class. I have been to a lot of HR seminars/webinars, and your class was the best regarding employee document management and retention. I hope you continue to create more classes for HR professionals. I will definitely enroll.
I am excited to finally find an HR program that doesn't just tell me what I should do around HR compliance but also shows me how. And…includes all possible resources I may need along the way. I hesitated to take this class because I have taken so many that were a waste of my time. I am glad I took the leap of faith and took this class because I am thrilled to say that I am well on my way to getting in compliance. Dealing with all of the employment laws and rules really scared me but I thank the instructor for giving me the tools and blue print to follow. Not only did she make it easy to understand and implement, she gave me all I needed in order to have the confidence to tackle HR compliance myself. Thank you!!! I hope you create more classes in the near future. I would buy them all!!! - The quality was outstanding and the instructor was extremely knowledgeable.
This was an enjoyable course- the presenter is clear and easy to understand, and the content was organized very well. I realized from this course that my organization could follow more than a few of these tips- I now feel more confident that we will be in compliance should any questions arise.